Built: Bangor General Hospital was founded in 1892 and leased the Mace building, now known as Graystone, until 1894 when it was then purchased for $8000 when their lease was running out.
Nursing Program begun: It opened on June 7, 1892 along with the School of Nursing whose first class graduated in 1894. Bangor General was incorporated in December 16, 1892 and became Eastern ME General Hospital in 1897. Beginning in 1915, Maine began registering nurses and the school was approved by the State. To solve an acute housing need for nursing students, construction began on the Nurses' Residence in 1925. The building was completed at a cost of $235,000 and opened in October of 1926.
Last Nursing Class Graduated: 1985
Retrofit to an Inn: After an RFP inviting candidates to submit designs for a compatible business use for the building, the team of Dawson & Company & RH Campbell Construction were awarded the contract / lease with their design for an Inn.
Inn square footage: The entire Inn’s total is nearly 30,000 sq.ft. including the basement. The total number of sleeping rooms on floors 1 - 5 is 56 and consists of a number of room types including those with one or two double beds, one queen or king bed, and suite combinations with either whirlpool tubs or an additional parlor with extra seating. Some suites also include sleeper-sofas.
Opening Day: July 21, 1986 @ 7am with Gerry O., who is still employed at the Inn, on the opening shift at the front desk.
Renovations & Updates: The Inn underwent a significant renovation project from Nov 1998 until Sep 1999 that included new electrical wiring, joining EMMC’s phone system, new roof, total vinyl window replacements (223), new carpeting, etc. In 2005, the rooms that had been left as offices were decommissioned and returned to use as sleeping rooms. In 2007, Time Warner finished their wiring and equipment upgrade; Wi-Fi was installed.
In 2009 – 2010, the elevator system was modernized, and a brand new 4-pipe heating system was installed replacing the antiquated steam pipes that had rattled and banged through the Inn for over 50 years. Guests can now control the heat in their individual rooms to the comfort level desired.
In 2011, interior painting, public bathrooms modernized, new counters installed in guest rooms, and all ceilings redone. In 2012, a fireplace and new furniture were added in the lobby, several areas received new carpeting, and a new water main installed.